Bi-Weekly Newsletter #40 | Beta 2.8 with Array Indexes and AQL graph traversals
Our upcoming release ArangoDB 2.8 is currently available as BETA , adding stunning new features to AQL and allowing to make use of array indexing. In our beta announcement we list all the details and explain how to use graph traversals in pure AQL. Please give it a try and help us finish the release sooner.
Also in the past two weeks, we’ve published outstanding cluster performance benchmarks, scaling ArangoDB to Gigabyte/s bandwidth on Mesosphere.
Starting with 8 database nodes, we scaled ArangoDB in a Mesos Cluster to 80 nodes – measuring throughput and latency for reads/writes and mixed loads. In the end, we wrote 1.1 Million documents per second – or about 1 GB of data per second. That’s amazing.
All test details and results are published in a cluster performance white paper that you can download today. Interesting for those with big cluster ambitions: Deployment of ArangoDB in a running Mesosphere DCOS environment is just a single command! Furthermore, ArangoDB is the only operational database that is fully certified for the Mesosphere DCOS.
The first BETA of ArangoDB 2.8 is available for download.
New features include:
- Hash indexes and skiplist indexes can now optionally be defined for array values so they index individual array members.
- added AQL keywords
ANYfor use in graph traversals
- Several replication improvements
- bind parameters in AQL editor
- automatic deadlock detection for transactions
Articles and Presentations
- Scaling ArangoDB to Gigabytes/sec on Mesosphere’s DCOS (mesosphere.com)
- White Paper: ArangoDB Cluster Performance
- ArangoDB 2.8 API Changes – a must read for driver contributors
- AQL Function Speedups – performance comparison 2.7 vs. 2.8
- Using multiple Indexes per collection
- Index Speedups – index usage and query optimization in 2.8
Documentation and Cookbook
- Graph traversals in AQL – using the new OUTBOUND / INBOUND / ANY syntax
New and Updated Drivers
- (.Net) arangoclient.net : added test runners for mono (raoof hujat )
- (Go) Arangolite 1.2.0: Lightweight golang driver for ArangoDB (Fabien Herfray )
- (Go) aranGO : added fullCount function (Diego Guraieb )
- (Java) arangodb-java-driver 2.5.7: Added examples for new AQL traversal functions (Achim Brandt )
Projects and Integrations
Questions on Stack Overflow
- In ArangoDB, will querying, with filters, from the neighbor(s) be done in O(n) ?
- disadvantages of generating keys at client side
- order of document properties at insert
- Filtering Vertices by Edge-Attribut in ArangoDB
- ArangoDB IS_DATE AQL Function – added in 2.8 (IS_DATETEXT)
- Sparql-interface for ArangoDB
- ArangoDb Foxx joi validate unknown keys
- How to store documents in an ArangoDb graph using ArangoJs?
Not answered yet:
Get the latest tutorials, blog posts and news: